Supervisor Qualifications & Requirements
Supervision is an important part of the training process for both HPC 5900 and HPC 6900. In both Practicum in Counseling and Internship in CMHC, students will receive individual/triadic supervision once a week from an on-site supervisor (the supervisor of record) for 15 weeks for each site. They will receive, on average, 1 ½ to 3 hours of group supervision from the university supervisor. Additionally, they will receive, on average, 1 hr. of individual/triadic supervision a week from the university supervisor in HPC 5900, and additional individual/triadic supervision may be mandated in HPC 6900. Because of the importance of supervision, certain qualifications and responsibilities are required of both the on-site supervisor and the university supervisor. Students also have specific responsibilities to their site, their on-site supervisor, their clients, the CMHC program, and their university supervisor. These responsibilities are located elsewhere in this manual.
On-Site Supervisors must have:
- a minimum of a master’s degree, preferably in counseling or a related profession.
- relevant certifications and/or licenses.
- a minimum of two years of pertinent professional experience in the specialty area in which the student is enrolled.
- knowledge of the program’s expectations, requirements, and evaluation procedures for students.
- relevant training in counseling supervision.
For a more thorough explanation of site supervisor responsibilities, please see the Clinical Field Experience Manual (PDF, 1.7 MB).
- Practicum/Internship Supervision Form 10/12 (PDF, 33 KB)
- Practicum/Internship Supervision Article: Bridging the Science and Practice of Clinical Supervision 10/12 (PDF, 825 KB)
- Practicum/Internship Supervision Article: How Does Clinical Supervision Work? 10/12 (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Practicum/Internship Supervision Article: The Integration of Reflectivity in Developmental Supervision 10/12 (PDF, 94 KB)