Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program
Welcome to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling website. The Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is a challenging, yet embracing environment for professional counselor preparation.
Concentrations are available in:
- General Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Addictions Counseling
- Marriage and Family Counseling
- Expressive Arts Therapy
- Body Centered Therapy
(These certificate programs do not qualify for NBCC credit)
For information on the 2016-2017 CMHC Official Report and Follow-up Survey, please click here (PDF, 188 KB).
For our 2017-18 Vital Statistics Report, please click here: https://hpc.appstate.edu/sites/hpc.appstate.edu/files/program_outcomes_report_2017-18.pdf
Appalachian State University (ASU) - Department of Human Development and Psychological Counseling has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 3001.
Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. ASU – Department of Human Development and Psychological Counseling is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
- Administrator of the Year Award, Dr. Mark Schwarze (CMHC Program Director), 2016
- Ella Stephens Barrett Award, Dr. Christina Rosen (CMHC Professor), 2016
- Beginning Counselor Award, Brittany Bodwell (CMHC Alumni), 2016
- Devoted Service Award, Angela Brooks-Livingston (CMHC Alumni), 2016
- Mary Thomas Burke Professional Mentor Award, Suzanne Ward (CMHC Alumni), 2016
- Outstanding Addictions Counseling Program...International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors (IAAOC) 2006
- ASU University Deans' Award for Excellence in Graduate Education...Community Counseling 2005-06
- Robert Frank Outstanding ACES Program Award (1992)
- ...many more to come!